Thursday 29 May 2014

Halong Bay - words can not explain

Halong bay was not only a fantastic end to my travels but an awesome reunion with a best friend. Fran, a university friend who is currently living and studying in Beijing, travelled for a long weekend to visit and join me in exploring the magnificent Halong Bay. 
 



















We joined a 3 day boat tour to show us the delights of the bay. On the boat were some great people who have now become great friends. The 9 of us all got on extreme well a group of mixed nationalities, one French, one Dutch, one Canadian, one Austrian, three German, and us two English lasses (although Fran can speak 4 different languages so I'm not sure what nationality she classes herself!) We mainly communicated in English as this was the common language, however included in our party of 9 was a lovely deaf couple so our use of sign language, lip reading, miming and note pad and pen all came in to play. It was great finding out about everyone and getting to know such intriguing characters.




The first day was spent cruising around the bay with a trip in to some cool caves (and having seen the caves in Phong Nha they were pretty average!) We then had a spare hour to wonder off kayaking, which involved Fran and I singing Disney songs at the top of our voices. There was also a spot of diving to retrieve a camera that had gone overboard. That evening was then spent on the boat. Fran and I shared a cabin together, which was very luxurious compared to the hostels, we had our own en-suite! A 3 course dinner was served for us all round a long table followed by a spot of night squid fishing.
 

The next day we explored more of Halong Bay including a pearl farm. Here they speed up the process of the oyster pearl making process by giving the oysters a helping hand. We then reached our next stop where we would be spending the rest of the day/night on our own exclusive deserted island. It was pure bliss! Fran and I had our own cabin again with a gorgeous sea view. We spent the afternoon, sunbathing, taking dip in the sea and reading up books and napping. Fran also gave me a history lesson on several Asia countries to broaden my horizons!  

 
 















That evening we enjoyed a delicious meal with all the people staying on the island. This then turned in to drinking games and some great merriment! It was then time for a midnight dip in the sea. The tide had gone out by this point and we could walk with the water about waist deep across to another island. The water was glowing as we waded through it due to the plankton sparkling. I had never seen anything like it, it was fantastic!

The next day with rather sore heads it was time to disembark from our private island to make our way back to the mainland. The journey was a struggle at times with our hangovers but we finally made it back to Hanoi.
 

The next day Fran had an early flight back to China, so we had a final chilled evening together before hitting the sack.

Once Fran had left I had a final day of my travels left, so I checked myself in to a lovely hotel and went off to do some last minute souvenir and present shopping. I bumped in to some friends from the Halong Bay boat trip, so we went for some farewell drinks.

 

Well I guess this is the last post in Beth’s Great Escape. It’s time for me to return to England and start a new adventure in my homeland. Thank you for reading all my posts, I hope you have enjoyed them all. A special thanks to all the friends who have shared my adventure along the way, from those who were fellow TEFL teachers, to old university friends, to family, to travelling buddies. I have had a wonderful 8 months and I couldn’t have asked for a more fantastic time!
 


With Love from Me!



No comments:

Post a Comment