Tuesday 6 May 2014

Dare deviling in Dalat

I arrived in Dalat late at night as the bus I was on broke down half way in to the mountains. It was also a Vietnamese national holiday so the traffic was very busy. However I finally reached the quaint town of Dalat. I booked in to Dalat Family Hostel, and once I had walked down a dark ally with my huge backpack I was greeted by the friendliest of hosts. The hostel is run by Mama and her two crazy daughters (who liked to be called crazy) They all gave me hugs once I arrived and handed me bowls of free food (nice but questionable of what the food actually was)! They were exceptionally welcoming and friendly.


The next day was fairly chilled, a group from the hostel were going to explore the town and head over to the 'Crazy House' an interesting attraction that was a cross between Disney and Alice and Wonderland so they invited me along.

























On the way back to the hostel we stopped for some food and saw this motorbike. I've seen some peculiar things on the back of bikes in Asia but this was a first. About 50 individual bags with gold fish in them.


Every evening in the hostel, Mama cooks a family meal for everyone to sit down and eat together. It was such a lovely thing to do and a great way to meet more people in the hostel.


The main thing to do in Dalat is Canyoning, where you abseil down waterfalls, trek and slide through rivers, a pure adrenaline seeking activity. At dinner I was persuaded by the people who had done it that day that I should sign up for the following day. So off I went.


A group of about 30 of us went off for the day. There were 4 abseils in total connected by wading through the river and sliding down naturally made slides in the rocks head first. The first few were down dry cliffs in to the river making them manageable for the wimp I turned out to be. However the last one down a 25 meter fast flowing waterfall with a 7 meter drop at the end when the rope ran out was just not for me. Overall the day was fantastic and tiring!



































The next day I had a chilled morning before departing for my next stop. On the way from Dalat to Hoi An I stopped overnight in Nha Trang a very touristy seaside town. But it was great as a few friends were travelling south and we were passing each other on route. That evening Jenny, Ruth (both TEFL Teacher friends) and I went out for dinner at a lovely Greek place. The next day we had a fantastic relaxing day at the mud baths, chilling, contemplating life and our futures, relaxing. We then had to get night buses in opposite directions on to our next destinations.

With Love from Vietnam xxx








No comments:

Post a Comment